FC Cincinnati Defeats St. Louis FC 2-1| Post Match Recap

FC Cincinnati rebounded well from their previous defeat to take down St. Louis FC Saturday night by a score of 2-1. FC Cincinnati head coach John Harkes decided shake up his starting lineup for the match at the World Wide Technology Soccer Park in St. Louis.

Often used substitution Omar Cummings got the starting nod and wasted little time before making his mark. Cummings gave FCC an early lead scoring for Cincy in the eighth minute. Cummings made a darting run into the box and forward Sean Okoli laid the ball at his feet leaving only the keeper for Cummings to beat.

The assist added to Okoli’s already impressive season total, giving him 18 (8g, 2a) for the year. This places him seventh overall in the United Soccer League.

This set a dominating tone to the match for FCC. Cincinnati continued to pressure St. Louis for most of the game. Despite many chances, the boys in blue and orange couldn’t break through.

Finally in the 78’ Eric Stevenson, who was a second half substitute, was able to score off a rebound in the box for FCC. Once again Omar Cummings had a hand in the positive play for Cincinnati.

Cummings’ shot from the top of the box had too much pace for keeper Ryan Thompson to comfortably grab. Stevenson sprinting into the area calmly placed the bouncing ball in the net before Thompson could regain himself.

FCC’s brilliant performance wasn’t without mistakes. Late goals have plagued the team all season and this fault reared its head once again at World Wide Technology Park.

St. Louis was able to score in the 85’ when Jordan Roberts was able to get the ball past FCC defender Tyler Polak and across the face of keeper Mitch Hildebrandt. Schillo Tschuma received the pass and finished in the open net.

From that point forward St. Louis, reinvigorated, began pressing the FCC defense. St. Louis nearly tied the game in the 90th minute when a Ryan Thompson (the keeper) misplayed a header that would have surely gone in had he gotten a good head on it.

Despite this late lapse, FCC thoroughly controlled the game from the start and have to be thrilled to pick up three points before a small break in league play.

FCC will return to action next week in an international friendly against English Premier League’s own Crystal Palace at Nippert Stadium. After that USL play will resume on July 20 against New York Red Bulls II